Foot Petals Strappy Strips is a tool for
making your shoes more comfortable.
Ross Hailey/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/MCT
By Karalee Miller
McClatchy Newspapers (MCT)
Oh, wondrous summer sandals, how you love to teeter atop sky-high wedges and reach strappy stiletto heights.
But at what cost? Are you looking to take our soles — not to mention our heels, arches and every other foot facet?
Well, no more. We are armed (or footed, rather) with a team of tools that allow us to strut without pain.
Yes, no more slipping or sliding. Heel rubbing is a thing of the past. Blisters be gone.
Just as we're not willing to skimp on style, we also won't let pain trump fashion.
We will wear you — you 4-inch summer heel, you — and not just on days when we promise to chain ourselves to our desks.
There are plenty of shoe saviors out there. We're highlighting a few of our favorites and showing you how easily they can work.
Footpetals for Foot Works Entire Foot Cushion
1. Keep your feet from sliding forward with these cushions that extend from the ball of the foot to the heel. These cushions also give added comfort to hard soles with little give. Heels without a platform are ideal candidates for these cushions. We like the jazzy leopard print, but you can choose the more subtle beige cushion. One size fits most shoes. $5.99 (sale), at www.avon.com. Style & Co. "Thora" classic black round-toe pump, $39.98, Macy's.
Apara Grippy Steps
2. Place these thin adhesive pads to the soles of your shoes. They help give added traction to your step, allowing you to maneuver across the most polished of floors with confidence. $6.95 at DSW Shoe Warehouse; also available at the Shoe Dept. and Famous Footwear (prices may vary). Mystique white sandals adorned with prong-set rhinestones, $145, Head Over Heels, Fort Worth.
Peaches & Boo Boo's Save My Feet Blister Elixir
3. We know plenty of shoe divas who swear by this cream, intended to prevent blisters and irritation. It's greaseless, stainless and lasts up to eight hours. It even works under hosiery. Simply apply to any part of your foot where shoes might rub or cause irritation or blisters. $19.95 for a 4-ounce bottle. This product is widely available; we found ours at Head Over Heels, Fort Worth. Franco Sarto "Detract" T-strap pumps, $89.95, Nordstrom, Hurst.
Foot Petals Strappy Strips
4. Each pack contains eight thin strips that give added comfort to bothersome slingbacks that won't stay in their place. You also can use them on the straps of your thong sandals. Foot Petals products are widely available. We picked up our pack for $6.95 at Cobblestone Shoe Repair, Fort Worth. Me Too "Jad" black patent slingback heels, $89, Chiffoniers, Fort Worth.
Foot Petals Tip Toes
5. There's nothing more undesirable than scrunched, aching toes that slide just a little too far over the edge. Keep your feet — and your look — in check with these adhesive cushions that help prevent feet from sliding and calluses from forming. $6.95, Cobblestone Shoe Repair or wherever Foot Petals products are sold (prices may vary). Anne Klein "Klaiko" sandals in metallic gold, $275, Stanley Eisenman's Fine Shoes, Fort Worth.
(c) 2008, Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Visit the Star-Telegram on the World Wide Web at http://www.star-telegram.com.
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.